Delight in the amazing outdoor space when you rent the historic Emil Bach House or the Lang House in Chicago. The outdoor spaces at both homes are ideal for entertaining friends and family during your stay or for your next special event. Here are five ideas to make party planning at a historic home easy and enjoyable:
- Keep your guests hydrated and provide them with a variety of drinks. Elevate water with refreshing cucumbers from the Rogers Park Glenwood Sunday Market or add fresh lemons to iced tea and lemonade.
- Keep food prep simple since you are on vacation too! Opt for breakfast or sandwich trays from a local hot spot such as Bagel Art in Evanston, or dessert trays from a Chicago bakery. You can also wander over to Taste Food & Wine at 1506 W Jarvis Avenue to pick up some of their award-winning artisan cheese and charcuterie or chips, snacks and locally-produced sweets. While you are there, discover a wonderful assortment of wine, Midwest brews, mixers as well as non-alcoholic beverages.
- Worried about mosquitos crashing the party? Partner with mother nature to repel these pesky party crashers and create spray bottles with a mixture of water and lavender or eucalyptus oil. You can spray it around the porch and guests can spray it on themselves for extra protection. You can find essential oils at Unan Imports at 6971 N Sheridan Road.
- Set the mood with a party playlist. Popular music apps such as Spotify and Pandora have preset mixes based on a theme or you can create your own. An outdoor speaker with LED lights can add to the fun; one option is a compact and inexpensive bluetooth speaker from Amazon.
- Having an evening party? Get creative with lighting and add reusable luminary lights with electric tea lights or fill mason jars with fairy lights. While the homes are both well-lit outdoors, mood lighting can help create a memorable event for everyone.
The Chicago area is filled with places that can help make your gathering fun and easy. Our preferred caterers are experienced in working in these special homes and can make planning all aspects of your event a breeze so you can simply enjoy the party!
Here are some additional local options for food, wine and delicious desserts:
Hops & Grapes
Large selection of wine, beer and spirits. Online ordering and curbside pickup is available.
6816 N Sheridan Rd
2 min drive
Taste Food & Wine
On-line ordering and delivery.
1506 W Jarvis St
5 min drive
Food & Dessert
Whole Foods Market
Stock up with a grocery trip or shop online and take advantage of their contactless pick up. Whole Foods also has a small selection of party trays.
6009 N Broadway
7 min drive
Sweet Temptations Bake Shop
Treat your guests to a wide variety of treats from this amazing nearby bakery.
607 W Howard
4 min drive
1500 West Jarvis Avenue, Chicago, IL, USA
Just a short walk to this neighborhood cafe, perfect for breakfast and lunch, also serves bakery goods from Bennison’s bakery